I get to work. I plugin the lappy. Windows Update says “hey dude, there are some updates for you”, I’m like “Bring them on”. Bad mistake.
One of the updates was IE8, and this is the update story(unfinished):
• Windows Update downloads the “IE8 Update”
• The “IE8 Update” starts up, decompresses something in c:<random string> and says “I have to restart your computer. It will update some stuff and then restart again. During this time you won’t be able to use screen readers, because the update will run before any user services start up”. I say “Ok, do it”
• The computer restarts, Windows boots up
• IE8 Update appears, decompressing some other stuff in c:<random string> and then it displays a nice window saying “Dude, I will start downloading updates”
• The following window appears:
Some aspects of this window:
– it has nice colors in a modern gradient like mix-up
– it has no buttons whatsoever
– it says Downloading
– YOU CANT BLOODY CLOSE IT WITHOUT KILLING THE DAMN PROCESS, WHICH I DON’T WANT TO DO
30 minutes have passed since it begun downloading and I think it’s downloading the bloody Internet. 30 minutes is forever when you are keeping a user staring at a window that never does anything.
I’ll update this post once it finishes (or not).
UPDATE: Only took 40 minutes, restarted again and now it works