I was compiling a project, looking at my console window, just thinking that the build usually takes too long when I realised how much time I really loose while building.
I was staring at the screen, and then the Maven buildNumber for the parent pom pops up. It’s 384.
I wait for the build to finish. It took 8 minutes 47 seconds, the average build time taking about 8 minutes.
Doing the math I realise that in the last four months, working on this project, I spent a total of 384 / 60 8 hour man days looking at a black screen waiting for the build to finally end.
That could have been 6.4 extra man days for improving the product.